Each day, millions of people are affected by leg pain. Unfortunately, most of these patients turn to painkillers without realizing that these drugs only mask the symptoms without addressing the root cause of the pain. If you are in London, ON, and leg pain is getting the better of you, please book an appointment with Corrective Chiropractic for effective treatment. We use natural remedies to treat the root cause of the pain for long-lasting solutions.
What Are the Causes of Leg Pain?
Why is your leg sore or hurting? There could be several reasons. The most obvious one is a leg injury. Falls, slips, car accidents, work injuries, and sports injuries can cause damage to the tendons, ligaments, and muscles in your legs. Besides strains and sprains, the other common causes of leg pain include:
- Sciatica: The sciatic nerve coordinates leg muscles and provides sensation to the skin in the lower extremities. When this nerve is damaged or irritated, you may experience pain that radiates from the lower back to the back of one of your legs. Also, you may experience tingling and numbness in the affected leg.
- Misaligned spinal joints: Your body is interconnected, so misalignments at the back may cause problems in your legs. Impingement of spinal nerves alters your body’s optimal functioning, including the legs.
- Osteoarthritis: When the cartilage lining bones in the leg joints wears down, bones may get into contact with each other, resulting in pain and stiffness.
Leg symptoms vary depending on the cause. For some people, pain starts at the back of the feet or in front of the thighs. The pain could be localized or emanate from the lower back and other body parts. Ultimately, the severity and nature of the leg pain depend on the anatomical and neurological structures involved.
How Is Leg Pain Diagnosed?
Chiropractic care can only occur after establishing the cause of your leg pain. Diagnosis isn’t a one-dimensional approach—we use several techniques to establish the cause of your pain. After establishing a personal connection with you, we take your medical history, ask you to describe the symptoms, and conduct a physical examination to establish the location of discomfort and range of motion. Where a further diagnosis is required, we may request X-rays, CT scans, and MRIs.
How Does a Chiropractor Treat Leg Pain?
After establishing the root cause of your pain, your chiropractor won’t use medication or surgery to manage your leg pain. We use natural remedies, including:
- Spinal adjustments: Since your leg pain isn’t always localized, correcting misalignments in the back can provide leg pain relief. Spinal adjustments may help manage sciatica and disc herniation, which may cause pain in the legs.
- Massage therapy: Soft tissue injuries result in pain, swelling, and limited mobility. Massage therapy hastens healing by improving blood circulation in the injured areas.
- Stretching exercises: Chiropractic exercises can strengthen your leg muscles against future injuries.
Call Us Today
Are you suffering from leg pain in London, ON? Please book an appointment with Corrective Chiropractic for pain management by calling (519) 474-6808.