Chiropractic Treatment for Herniated Disc
At Corrective Chiropractic, serving St. Thomas and London, ON, we provide professional chiropractic care for a range of issues and conditions, including a herniated disc, a bulging disc, and much more. Our chiropractor will diagnose and treat any condition you are suffering from to make sure you can live a pain-free life. One of the most common and debilitating conditions we treat is a herniated disc.
Herniated Disc Symptoms
Your spinal column is made up of vertebrae stacked one on top of the other, with a disc cushioning each bone. These discs are made of a soft, gelatinous, inner portion, and a tough outer ring, which help absorb shock from activities like lifting objects, turning, and walking. When weakness or injuries cause the inner portion of the disc to protrude through the outer portion, this is called a herniated or slipped disc.
Some symptoms that occur following this include:
- Pain and numbness, often on one side of the body.
- Pain that radiates into your arms or legs.
- Pain that gets worse at night or following certain movements.
- Pain that gets worse after standing or sitting.
- An unexplained weakness in your muscles.
- Aching and tingling sensations in the affected area.
Treatment for a Slipped or Herniated Disc
Our chiropractor can help you with your herniated disc by first checking if your reflexes are intact, if there are signs of muscle wasting, and if there is a loss of sensation along the path of a nerve. We may also examine your posture and request some imaging tests. After evaluating your entire spine and finding the cause of your pain, our chiropractor will come up with a treatment plan.
The main methods that we use are:
- Chiropractic adjustments: These techniques work to realign the spine and discs to alleviate pressure and pain. This will return the discs back to their proper places and alleviate pinched nerves.
- Spinal decompression: This method will stretch the spine and allow herniated discs to move back into place. It will create negative pressure in the disc, allowing fluids and nutrients to rebuild it.
- Corrective exercises: Stretching and strengthening exercises will help prevent future injuries and pain. Pelvic blocking techniques, which include gentle exercise and using cushioned wedges placed under each side of your pelvis, will pull your disc away from the nerve it may be pushing on.
Call Us Today to Make an Appointment
If you are suffering from debilitating back pain, it might be a herniated disc. It’s important to seek treatment so your condition does not worsen or cause other health complications. At Corrective Chiropractic, serving St. Thomas and London, ON, we provide treatment for herniated discs. Our methods are natural, drug-free, and non-invasive, so you can avoid risky surgeries and medications, which often come with side effects. To learn more about our services or to schedule an appointment, call us today.